On April 15, 2015, Judy Bowen, Karen Palumbo, Kim McKenna, Rob McKenna, Eric Landon, Dede Golden and Sabrina Kassay volunteered to plant onions and cut potatoes (for planting). America’s Grow-a-Row’s mission is to positively impact as many lives as possible through a volunteer effort of planting, picking, rescuing, and delivering free fresh produce. All in all, the GPI team, as well as 11 other individuals, planted over 4,600 onions and cut about 16-17 50lb bags of potatoes!
- Provides fresh, healthy produce to those in need
- Educates people of all generations about hunger and ways to help
- Introduces our youth to farming and healthy eating
- Cultivates tomorrow’s leaders to give back
- Contributes to the sustainability of agriculture
This program started in 2002 with a small plot and a single volunteer (Chip Paillex). After seeing a plea from the Flemington Food Pantry requesting that any gardeners donate excess produce, Chip and his daughter Kyra, who was four years old at the time, cultivated their own garden and donated about $3,000 worth, or 120 pounds, of produce that year. From these humble beginnings, we’ve grown into an organization that has donated over 2.5 million pounds of produce in 12 years through the active participation of more than 3,000 volunteers!